Arce still expecting to fight Donaire
MANILA, Philippines – Mexican boxer Jorge Arce is still expecting to face unified super bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire later this year, sources close to the boxer told Boxing Scene.
Boxing Scene reported that Arce “is still on target to fight... Donaire on December 15.”
But instead of fighting in Arce’s home turf of Mexico, the fight may now be held in Houston Texas, possibly at the Toyota Center.
Last week, Donaire said he was close to turning down the fight because of the Mexican brawler’s financial demands.
“It’s just that he wants to get paid. That’s what he wants. He wants more than what he deserves,” Donaire said last week.
But Donaire’s promoter, Bob Arum, has expressed his confidence that the fight against Arce will happen.
“A lot of things have been happening. The fight’s going to happen and it’s going to happen on December 15,” Arum said.
Arum added that they will have an announcement regarding the fight on Tuesday.
Donaire has said that if the two camps do not come to an agreement soon, he will take the rest of the year off.
For more sports coverage, visit ABS-CBN Sports